Have you ever thought about adding non-train vehicles to your wooden train set? Besides trains, lots of other wheeled play things are available to integrate into your compatible train tracks including fire trucks, semi trucks, buses and more. Check out these fun options and be sure to leave a comment or visit our Facebook page to tell us about your favorite non-train vehicle for your wooden train set!
This post contains links to products sold on Amazon.com. If you click on one and subsequently make a purchase of any item within a 24 hour period, we will receive a small commission from Amazon.com at no additional cost to you. Read our disclosure policy for more details.
1. Brio Fire Engine Train Set – There are actually several very good fire engine vehicles available for your wooden train set (Plan Toys and Thomas offer nice ones for example), however, Brio’s 3 piece set with fireman figurine is definitely worth mentioning for its detail and special features. The hose uncoils, the ladder moves and a button push triggers lights and sounds. Although there are not many reviews for this toy to be found, Brio is a brand that tends to get some of the highest marks for quality and design of any wooden train set brand.
2. Nuchi Wooden Railway / 2-piece Construction Vehicle Set – This set includes both a bulldozer with working scoop and a steamroller with rubber tread. While few reviews are available for this set, Nuchi typically gets 4 stars and higher for their train cars and vehicles on amazon.com.
3. Nuchi Wooden Railway / 3-piece Farm Animal Train – This set of 3 wooden farm animals with textile tails adds a bit of whimsy to your train set. While few reviews are available for this set, Nuchi typically gets 4 stars and higher for their train cars and vehicles on amazon.com.
4. PlanToys Logging Truck – Made from recycled rubberwood, this truck allows the ‘driver’ to remove and replace the logs. A peg connects the rig to the flat bed. An eco-freindly brand, Plan Toys offers one of the more extensive selection of non-train vehicles for wooden train sets and many of their tracks flip from railroad track to flat road, making it easy to change between the two depending on your mood. Some reviewers mentioned the difficulty for some little hands of replacing the logs once they are removed, however, if this is an issue, you may choose to glue them on.
5. PlanCity Car Transporter – This semi truck car transporter comes with 2 cars. Made from recycled rubberwood, the back ramp folds down to load and unload the cars.. An eco-freindly brand, Plan Toys offers one of the more extensive selection of non-train vehicles for wooden train sets and many of their tracks flip from railroad track to flat road, making it easy to change between the two depending on your mood. One note for this toy – several review note how small this piece is. The dimensions state 7.2 inches long, so be aware that it is not super long if purchasing tis item.
6. Brio Cement Truck – This truck has the detail you would expect from Brio. From the spinning cement drum to the ability to tilt up the cab and see the engine, this vehicle is a great item for construction fans.
7. Thomas Wooden Railway – Bertie – As with most Thomas train cars, this bus gets good reviews for quality and durability. If you have a Thomas fan who wants to expand beyond the rail cars, this is a great option. If you are putting together a gift with this vehicle, consider adding the book where Bertie makes his appearance with Thomas — The Great Race.